Established in 1964, the African Development Bank (AfDB) is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 81 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries).
In order to sharply focus the objectives of the Ten-Year Strategy (2013 – 2022) and ensure greater developmental impact, five major areas (High 5s), all of which will accelerate our delivery for Africa, have been identified for scaling up, namely: energy, agro-business, industrialization, integration and improving the quality of life for the people of Africa. The Internship program is part of a wider Talent Management Framework which facilitates the Bank to deliver on the Ten-Year Strategy and the High 5s.
Participants in the Program are selected on a competitive basis, based on business needs of the Bank.
The broad objectives of the program are to:
- Provide students with an opportunity to acquire professional and practical experience at the African Development Bank.
- Provide the Bank with a pool of potential candidates for future recruitment purposes.
However, applicants should not expect the internship to lead to immediate employment with the Bank.
The Fields of Study Required for the Internship:
- The fields of study from which interns are selected must be within the job families of the Bank, particularly Economics, Agriculture, Private Sector Development, Human Capital Development (Education and Health), Environment, Finance, Infrastructure Development, Human Resources Management, Information Technology, Communications, Law, Internal Audit, Budget, Governance or any other field of study that the Bank may deem relevant to its operations.
- Special consideration shall be given to students who are working on projects that have a direct bearing on the mission of the Bank.
The Session 1 of the 2022 Internship Program will run from March 2022 through June 2022.
Eligibility Criteria for the The African Development Bank (AfDB) Virtual Internship Program.
To be eligible for internship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must have attained the age of majority in their country of nationality or origin and be not more than Thirty (30) years old at the time of commencement of the internship program.
- Be currently enrolled in a master’s level degree program in a recognized public or private educational institution of higher learning.
- The candidate can apply for an internship within one (1) year of having obtained such a degree.
- Be nationals of the member Countries of the African Development Bank.
- Provide a letter from their school confirming their enrollment or a copy of the above-mentioned Degree.
- Applicants must be fluent in at least one of the Banks’s two working languages (English or French).
- Be able to use the Bank’s standard software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access); knowledge of SAP is desirable.
- Selected candidates will be deployed in various Departments at Headquarters (Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire), Bank’s Regional and Country Offices. However, due to the on-going global pandemic, this year’s internship will be conducted remotely/virtually.
Applicants will only be considered if they submit an online complete application and attach a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV).
The Bank will run two (2) internship sessions during the year 2022. This announcement is for session 1, which will run from March through June 2022. The announcement for session 2 will be made in April 2022 and session 2 will run from June through December 2022.
Should you encounter technical difficulties in submitting your application, please send an email with a precise description of the issue and/or a screenshot showing the problem to: HR Direct HRDirect@AFDB.ORG
Application Deadline: March 23rd, 2022
For More Information: