Tejumola Olaniyan Creative Writers Fellowship: The Africa Institute is calling for applications from creative writers including novelists, short story writers, playwrights, poets and scriptwriters related to Africa and the African diaspora for its 2022 Tejumola Olaniyan Creative Writers-in-Residence Fellowship. The deadline for the submission of applications is 28th February 2022.
The Africa Institute, as part of its African Languages and Translation Program, announces the Tejumola Olaniyan Creative Writers-in-Residence Fellowship. This residency program is created in honour of the late Nigerian Professor Tejumola Olaniyan and his remarkable intellectual legacy in the field of African literature and critical theory. The residency program welcomes applications from creative writers including novelists, short story writers, playwrights, poets and scriptwriters related to Africa and the African diaspora for a grant of 45,000 AED in total.
Recipients will have the opportunity to publish their texts through The Africa Institute’s publications program. Projects relating to theatre and film scripts can also be published as texts or receive support in facilitating productions. The project could be new or a work-in-progress and should be feasible for completion within the timeframe of the residency.
- Open to creative writers including novelists, short story writers, playwrights, poets and scriptwriters related to Africa and the African diaspora.
- The proposed project can be in Arabic or English (other languages will be considered). The residency invites recipients to Sharjah, UAE for a period of three months to complete their work.
All applications will be reviewed by The Africa Institute through a committee of peers of well-known writers. Three recipients will be chosen based on the quality of their proposal, and the demonstrated feasibility of completion within the timeframe of the residency.
How to Apply for Tejumola Olaniyan Creative Writers Fellowship
Applications must include:
- CV/résumé of the applicant
- A two-page narrative of the project to be undertaken during the residency period, its significance, and a proposed date of completion.
- A sample of published or unpublished writings.
To submit applications, compile all application materials; CV/résumé, two-page narrative and writing sample (in case of a book, kindly attach separately) into one single PDF in the mentioned order. Name the file with the residency title abbreviation and the applicant’s name in this format: TOCWRP_LASTNAME_FIRSTNAME. Use the same name in the email subject heading and send the PDF as an email attachment to [email protected]