As a foreigner, getting a permanent residence in Canada will be a welcome development and applying for it via the Express Entry program is the best option. The Express Entry Program is an online visa application system used by the Government of Canadian to manage immigration applications from foreign skilled workers.
Immigration programs under Express Entry
Three immigration programs are managed through the Express Entry System. They include:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program
- Federal Skilled Trades Program
- Canadian Experience Class
How to apply for Permanent Residence in Canada via the Express Entry System
To apply, you must check if you are eligible for any of the programs. You can do the checking by answering a few questions to see if you meet the minimum requirements. You can also read detailed requirements for each program in the official website. Take the following steps for your application.
Step 1: Check if you are eligible
You can find out your eligibility status by answering a few questions to see if you meet the minimum requirements and reading the detailed requirements for each program.
Step 2: Check your score
You will be ranked in the Express Entry pool using the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) if you are eligible for one or more of the Express Entry programs and you have submitted your profile.
The Comprehensive Ranking System is a points-based system used for
- ranking it in the Express Entry pool and
- assessing and scoring your profile.
Step 3: Gather your documents
Get the following documents ready before you apply
- medical exams
- birth certificate
- proof of funds
- police certificates
- use of a representative form (if needed)
- common-law union form (if needed)
- marriage certificate (if needed)
- divorce certificate and legal separation agreement (if needed)
- death certificate (if you are a widow)
- adoption certificate (if your dependent child is listed as “adopted”)
Other documents though not compulsory are
- other name to confirm aliases
- digital photos to confirm your identity
- authority to release personal information to a designated individual form
- proof of relationship to a relative in Canada
- any other documents that you feel are relevant to your application
Step 4: Fill out your online profile form
Here you are required to provide all necessary information about yourself and if you are eligible, you will be accepted into Express Entry pool of candidates and be given your Comprehensive Ranking System score. Please note that completing your online Express Entry profile or entering the pool is not guarantee that you will be invited to apply for permanent residence in Canada.
Apply for Canadian Work Permit and Visa.
Step 5: Get an invitation and make your Application
You will be sent an invitation to apply if you are among the candidates with highest scores in the pool. If you are invited, you will have 60 days to submit your application.
It takes up to 6 months to process a well completed application.
What is application fee?
Your application fee depends on the category you fall in.
- For your application: $1,325
- Include your spouse: $1,325
- Include a dependent child: $225